Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Long awaited Close Ups of CC#7

Here is the second installment of CC#7 Closeup and Artist Statements!


"Two Trees in the Foreground"
 Ellen
As soon as the challenge to work mostly in black and white was explained, I knew that I would find my inspiration in an Ansell Adams photograph.  From the beginning of the Creative Conglomeration, I have been drawn to landscape scenes that seem to peer into a grove of trees.  In this project, I did a "crazy quilt" piecing of many different black with white prints to suggest different shafts of light coming into the forest, choosing a trapezoidal shape of solid black to echo the general shape of the larger tree.  The white trunks were pieced in after slashing the initial background.  I defined the trunks and main branches of the two featured trees by thread-painting their outlines and painting in the trunks.  The suggestion of leaves was also painted.  Since we were asked to add a small amount of "our" color to the black and white, I added orange hand embroidery to suggest autumn color in the remaining canopies, in the air and on the ground.



"Tonia's Muse" 
Patty
The challenge was to use black and white and the color we chose in the challenge we put out to the group, taking inspiration from an artist we admire. That was yellow for me. My inspiration was fused glass artists, my friend Tonia in particular. I used tulle over the background and quilted it very closely to simulate the opalescent qualities off pearlized white glass. The black and yellow stripes represent the layering off colors used in fusing. I envision this "glass" being slumped to make a free form bowl.

 More to come!

No comments: